Saturday, August 28, 2010

A Simple Plan


It's hard for me to believe that over two years have passed since I rode the TransAmerica Trail from coast to coast. While rarely a day goes by when I don't think of some experience from that trip, some of the memories have dulled and the lessons learned aren't at the ready. One of those lessons -- to seek out new adventures -- has gone unheeded for too long. It's time for another bike tour, albeit on a much smaller scale.

During my cross-country ride I met many bikers along the way, who started their treks by riding down their driveway. The simplicity of that always made me a little jealous. One didn't need to travel far away to begin a new adventure -- one could set off right from the front door. By the time I biked my first few miles of the Transamerica Trail, I had already traveled by plane, train, and bus to get there. My bike and supplies had been shipped and significant effort went into the logistics of a successful start.

My tour of the Third Coast -- around Lake Michigan -- will be far simpler. I'll bike away from my apartment on Montrose Avenue in Chicago tomorrow morning and, if all goes well, I'll bike right back here within two weeks. As I sit here the night before my departure and stare at my two panniers, I wonder if it's all a little too simple. Do I have everything? Did I consider the contingencies? While I'm much closer to home this time around and plan to see some familiar faces along the way -- the Upper Peninsula can be just as desolate as eastern Colorado.

A few words about the blog. Given that this is only a two week trip, I hesitated to even keep a blog. But the truth is, it's a strong motivation. If a string of bad luck and bad weather has me contemplating a bus ride home, public embarrassment will keep me on the road. The motivation isn't all negative. The need to tell some interesting (I hope) tales from my travels will keep me alert as I ride through small towns and on back roads that I would have never otherwise explored. I'll try to post once a day, but I'll always be at the mercy of the wireless network.

4 comments:

  1. Have Fun Rider. Should be a great time of year for the trip. Enjoy M-119 from Cross Village to Harbor Springs. One of my favorite sections of road.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We just DROVE through the Tunnel of Trees with TnT on our way back from Torch Lake (the route mentioned above on M-119!!!)! It is so gorgeous! Makes you love Michigan over and over. Eat at Legs Inn in Cross Village (delicious Polish food) if you can. Wish we could meet you there and buy you a beer or two!!

    We'll be thinking of you, Brian. Very exciting! Happy, happy, safe travels...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck Brian! Have a great ride!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, everyone. I'll be sure to bike the tunnel of trees.

    Sakura -- I had a great dinner with Tanya and Todd last night.

    ReplyDelete